I accept full responsibility for my own safety while in the Eastern Oregon University Rock Wall. I agree to abide by, and help enforce, the following safety policies and rules:
ROCK WALL POLICIES & RULES
1. Climbers must check in at desk before climbing and have completed the Activity Waiver form and the Safety Policies and Rules form.
2. Climbers engaged in roped climbing must go through a Climb & Belay proficiency check unless if under the direct supervision of a climbing instructor or if a youth (see youth policies.)
3. All belayers must stand. Sitting or laying down while belaying is not allowed.
4. No use of headphones allowed while engaged in roped climbing.
5. Only commercially manufactured personal climbing equipment in good condition is allowed.
6. Climbing equipment must be used according to manufacturing instructions. Tie in with figure-eight follow through only. Only locking carabiners are to be used to connect the belay devices to the belayer. Standard climbing signals must be used.
7. Please report loose holds, bad wear spots on ropes, and anything else you believe to be a safety hazard.
8. Only climbing staff or approved designees will move handholds and hardware.
9. Helmets are recommended, but only required for users who have not signed helmet waiver.
10. No one under the influence of alcohol or drugs allowed on the premises.
11. Eating, drinking and chewing gum in the climbing wall area is prohibited with the exception of water.
12. Barefoot climbing is not allowed. No street shoes on blue mats.
13. All accidents or equipment damage must be reported immediately to staff.
14. Any climber may be asked by Rock Wall staff or EOU Security to adjust, alter, or discontinue any activity or behavior judged to be inappropriate, disruptive, or hazardous.
15. Rock Wall staff and Security reserve the right to suspend any individual permanently, or for a specified period of time, for failure to comply with the above safety policies and rules, or for any conduct that is viewed by the staff as unsafe or inappropriate.
16. It is the responsibility of all users to be aware of their surroundings and to not climb or stand below other climbers where they could have objects or climbers falling on them.
17. All participants under 18 must have a waiver and rules form signed by both them and their parents/legal guardian.
18. Children 5 and under are not allowed to climb. Children under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
19. Climbers under the age of 14 are designated as “Climber only” and may not belay or tie themselves in without special approval from Rock Wall staff. They must be accompanied by a belay certified adult at all times.
20. Children and youth must be under control and within arms reach of supervising adult when not climbing.
21. Only two children per parent or adult.
22. It is up to the climber/boulderer to be aware of landing zone, any people below them and ensure the area is clear.
23. Crash pads and spotter are highly recommended when climbing on the outside boulder; especially when topping out. It is the climber’s responsibility to move and use portable bouldering pads appropriately.
24. No bouldering allowed above bouldering line or on roof of bouldering wall.
25. Spotters highly encouraged, especially when in an inverted position.